Welcome to the third week of the Patrick’s Puzzle Mystery Quilt-a-long. This is clue #3 and I am so happy you are here. This clue involves a little more Paper Piecing and the completion of one of the major components of the Patrick’s Puzzle Quilt.
Please do not be intimidated by this technique. I will explain and demonstrate in great detail on Youtube tomorrow (Wednesday March 31, 2021) so you can watch how it is done and follow along. Join me live, tomorrow, so you can ask questions through chat as we go along. I will be happy to help, in real time. Otherwise, do watch the video after it airs, as I will have plenty of pointers and tips/tricks to help work through this clue successfully.
Today, I am releasing the clue here first, so that you will have an opportunity to print out the foundations ahead of time.
If you already know how to paper piece, please feel free to work through the clue at your leisure. I hope you enjoy it!!
Please note: If you have never done paper piecing, please don’t be intimidated. Head over to my Youtube channel for help. I have several videos where I show this technique, including the one for this clue, specifically (released tomorrow).
Clue #3 – Hashtag Blocks
1. Cut (2) 2” x 3.5” of each color (this forms a set)
2. Cut (2) 2” x 6” of each color (add these strips to the sets from above, keeping same
colors together. You should have four strips of fabric for each color)
3. Cut (1) 3.5” square of background (per color set)
4. Using the downloadable template and cut fabrics, paper piece section C, keeping the
same color in each set.
Keeping the same color sets together, sew together Paper Pieced units from Clue #2 as
1. Sew Unit B to Unit A twice. A1 and B2 should be touching. Press seam toward Unit
B. (see Diagram #2)
2. Sew the two Unit D pieces to the C4 and C5 sides of Unit C. These are the edges of
Unit C that do not have seams. Press seams toward Unit C. (See Diagram #2)
3. REMOVE PAPER from all three resulting units.
4. Sew A+B Units to C+D Unit forming a “Hashtag” block
5. Press seams toward center of block
Products I use and recommend (affiliate links):
Newsprint – https://amzn.to/3om969l
Creative Grid Ruler – https://amzn.to/3cKP44E
Seam Guide Tape – https://amzn.to/3cM8shX
My preferred iron (best one I have had to date!) – https://amzn.to/3eLqrHP
4-in-1 Essential Sewing Tool – https://amzn.to/3iTd7kB
Add-A-Quarter Ruler – https://amzn.to/3ayrFCy
Snips – https://amzn.to/3cGf6rr