For the past few weekends in a row, we have been clearing out the attic and organizing things a bit. We have been in this house for 6 years now and it was time. When we moved into this house, we were moving from living in a motor home (converted Greyhound bus) for about 5 years, so many things we owned had been in storage during that time. Those things went straight from storage to the attic when we moved in and have not seen the light of day until now.
Being in the quilting business for a majority of that time was difficult at times. Quilting requires space and in the motor home I had very little. So, I would start a project and then once it grew too large, or I started another one, it would be put in a container and dropped off at the storage place on our way through town. This created many, many unfinished projects, not to mention the tools and supplies that I also put away for “someday.”
So, now “someday” has finally arrived and I have begun the process of going through all the projects and deciding which to complete first, which to abandon, and which to start that were put away as ideas only. I can’t wait to share the adventure with you all.
First up is a Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt that I started with scraps. Since we didn’t have much room at the time and I prefer portable projects and hand sewing anyway, this top was completely hand pieced. When I found it in the box it only needed the remaining border to be attached and it would be ready for quilting. The border took two or three days to attach and here it is, completed and ready for quilting. The photo is not the greatest, but you can see it is BIG 🙂
I am no longer the purist I once was, and so even though this top was hand pieced, it will be machine quilted. Funny how it happens as you get older the priorities change from doing things one way to doing them another. My objective now is to see and use this quilt. Wait till you see what is next…