This time of year is so busy that I don’t even know where to begin. A repeat customer of mine has requested three dresses and three mens ties for Christmas. The kicker is that she (as usual) waited to the … Continue reading
Two Etsy orders, seven new baby gifts, and Christmas is just around the corner. Oh my, it is amazing how busy one can get in an instant. I am waiting on fabric for the orders, so here is the first … Continue reading
This week’s home post is one I have been waiting a long time to post. We delivered Jonathen and Keri’s housewarming quilt to them this week. They loved it and I was thrilled. Funny story about this quilt. J and … Continue reading
So, I finished up a few outfits for a friend’s nephew. The shorts are so cute!! Check it out. Last week’s photo: This week’s progress: Finished the neck and the other wing. Made more progress than I thought
Well, like many others, it is incumbent upon me to post an obligatory 4th of July post. This year I actually have some things to write about. Bryan, Sara, the boys, and Scott’s parents came over to share a barbeque … Continue reading
Remember these? This week, I finished up two of the quilts that are gifts. I can only show you one today, since I don’t think the recipients read my blog. The other one I will post next week. I am … Continue reading
Last Wednesday, we went to Birmingham (UAB’s Kirkland Clinic) for my 6 month MRI and doctor visit. We have been going every 6 months since my first hospitalization in 2010. They have done CT scans, MRIs, and even a liver … Continue reading
I made this coat and hat for my grand-dog Fen about a month ago. He lives in Colorado and is a big shivering baby Great Dane. Anyway, I sent the coat and hat to Fen and it never arrived. Then about a week ago, we received it back in the mail. So, now I feel kind of bad that I griped about the Post Office losing my package, when I actually put the wrong address on the package. Oh well, after paying twice to get it to the right place, Fen now has a new reversible fleece Sherlock Holmes coat and hat.
On one side of the coat I put applique letters spelling his name and the other side is plain hounds-tooth. The hat came from an adult costume pattern. I shortened the sides of the hat, since his head is as big around as a human’s but is much more shallow. The only thing I did not like about the coat is that the neck opening is too large for him. I will fix that the next time I can get a hold of the coat.
Just a quick post to show what I have been up to the past week or so. Still working on things that have been in the works and in the attic for years. Scott’s Aunt Barbara has been doing the machine quilting on the tops that I have been finishing. Well, now that I have her and one other source for the quilting part of the process, I now feel free to complete the tops that I have been dreading quilting. Here are a few that are ready to be quilted.
I have an MRI coming up in March and we will be delivering these to her in Birmingham. Aunt Barbara, I hope you are ready to be busy
In the last post, I completed the skirt portion of the dress. In this one we look at the bodice, bonnet and shoes. Details make all the difference in sewing children’s clothing, especially little dresses and heirloom clothing. I prefer to make my own bias binding and piping for my dresses, so, as you can see around the neckline, I used the skirt fabric to create piping edge.
To create the piping, cut 1″ fabric strips on a 45 degree bias. Using a thick cotton crochet thread, fold the fabric strip lengthwise over the thread and sew a 3/8″ seam down the length of the strip, encasing the thread. Perhaps I should do a tutorial on this next time…
Following the directions, I attached the skirt to the bodice and then made the button holes.
I just happened to have two flower buttons in my stash that worked perfectly for this dress.
See, aren’t they pretty?
The bonnet directions state that you should leave an opening at the back edge and, after turning right side out, you should slip stitch the opening closed. This seemed counter-intuitive to me, since there was a scalloped lace edging that could easily be slip-stitched shut after turning the bonnet right side out. The way the pattern shows the finished bonnet, there are raw edges exposed where the scalloped edges are, inside the bonnet. It seems to me that this would not only be unsightly, but would not feel very good to the baby either. See the photos below to see the directions and to see how I did it instead.
My method: I basted the edge of the lining along the scallop, clipped and pressed the edges. Then I removed the basting and turned the bonnet right side out. After that it was easy to line up the pressed edge with the scalloped edge and slip-stitch it shut again.
Right side out, lining side:
Outside of bonnet:
The shoes I will cover in a post sometime down the road. This dress ensemble will be going on the Etsy shop as a custom order, so if you know anyone who would like this outfit for their child or as a gift, please send them my way
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the progress through the assembly of this outfit. Let me know what you would like to see next. I would love to use this blog as a way to demonstrate techniques, if I know them. Just give me a shout.
Finally, here is a quilt that I have pulled out of the past projects pile. It is going together quite nicely. I can’t wait to have this one under my belt and on to the recipient.